Aci Castello takes its name from the castle built on a basalt cliff overlooking the sea. A singular structure globes covered with a crust of basalt glass fruit of an ancient underwater eruption. In fact, the rocky coast and the island Lachea, as well as the rock on which the castle stands, are the product of a submarine volcanic phenomenon, dating back to 500,000 years ago, when the area under the sea corresponded to a vast area known as the "Gulf pre-Etna. "These submarine eruptions gave rise to the "Pillows", rare volcanic rocks that originate from basaltic lava flows.
The castle, built between 1071 and 1081, dates back to Norman times and belongs to the Bishops of Catania. The castle appears in almost total integrity, although the story has delivered in 1297 to the rebel Roger of Lauria, who settled here until he was torn by Frederick II of Aragon and later by Alagona. Because of its predominantly military use, was structurally modified in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries later centuries it was used for residential use. From above you can see the country and the whole coast, from north to south. Inside there is a small botanical garden and the Civic Museum with archaeological section and naturalistic, with pieces from the Paleolithic to the Middle Ages. From the castle begins the Riviera of the Cyclops, characterized by the presence of a cliff rocks. The origins of the town of Aci castle date back to 1518, when Emperor Charles V made clear the area of Aci erecting it in common. Aci Castello also has undergone the devastation of earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions. The terrible earthquake of 1169 destroyed the country and forced the inhabitants to move to nearby areas. After being rebuilt, Aci Castello was again destroyed by the 1693 earthquake; and yet the survivors rebuilt again in 1718. Nowadays the territory of Aci Castello covers 8.65 km ² and has a population of about 18,000 inhabitants. The municipality is divided into four fractions Aci Castello, Aci Trezza, Ficarazzi and Cannizzaro. To add to the charm of the area of Aci Castello, along with the history and nature, it is also the myth of Acis, a shepherd in love with the nymph Galatea, who was killed by the Cyclops Polyphemus and Galatea for jealousy in a last attempt to keep him alive, turns the blood of his beloved in spring water. Aci becomes a river god. This river which flows Capomulini, gave its name to the countries it passes through. Even the name of the village of Aci Trezza is linked to the legend of the shepherd Acis, while the word "trezza" refers to the three tips of the rocks. The Odyssey tells us that these were thrown by Polyphemus against Ulysses, who had blinded him pushing a pile burning in his single eye; The hero then fled with his companions in adhering to the belly of the sheep that belonged to the Cyclops. Is located next to the rocks of the island Lachea which is currently a Biological Research Station of the University of Catania.
He was born as an outlet to the sea town of Aci SS Anthony and Philip in the late 1600: that land was a wild and uninhabited district where an island and an archipelago of rocks, surmounted by three stacks, could give some shelter to the boats . The principles Riggio realized they needed to populate the area and built the first houses that were rented to sailors nearby areas (and not) encouraged and ready to adventure contours not certain. Were set up on the pier, the Church, the two towers for defense, the warehouses, the warehouse, the "Potega" and was also born a local government, in addition to the pastor (or rather all'arcipresbitero) that was the true leader of the country : this was made official in 1691. the first decades of life were not easy, but the wisdom of the Riggio, combined initiative of the wealthiest commercial catenoti and neighbors Castellesi, made of Trezza one of the most important discharge of Sicily in the mid '700. Louis Riggio had built after 1730 other houses and other stores, also making his splendid palace near the sea, now virtually disappeared as well as the largest of the towers. He had then created a road that came from Trezza at St. Mary Chain, and thanks to his role as Grandee of Spain and contacts that had a little 'everywhere, was in the rush scaro boats of all types. He was also ambassador to France, and with the nation in every case the contacts were frequent. The French ships (as well as other nations) arrived in the port of Trezza sometimes d
irectly but more often these contacts took place in Messina. The goods were brought there by sea on board of ships and more capacious. However, you do not think that the boats that departed from Trezza were insignificant: their occupants were generally more than a dozen, and they were also equipped with guns to defend themselves if they were attacked by the usual bad guys. Riggio also tried to make the harbor safer bombarding the south side of the island and trying to blend it with the Faraglioni; But it was all useless because the force of the sea miscarried early attempts that occupied the entire month of August in the year 1748. In 1800 the trade began to languish in the harbor in front of the Faraglioni; the sea was still the way of life but made very little fishing and living conditions became increasingly precarious in the village that while in 1828 it was joined by the municipality of Aci Castello. 1900 brought, from decade to decade, a new driving force: tourism. Trezza has become so full of hotels and entertainment venues and catering to an increasingly diverse crowd who now flock, especially the summer nights, the Waterfront Cyclops and its streets. Fishing in the postwar period has become a driving force, even if it has to split the sea (and port) with boating, fishing and big surf coming off quietly for the entire Mediterranean. The fish market is one of the most important in Sicily. The two parishes: St. John the Baptist, the owner of the old (and valuable) church overlooking the sea in front of the old harbor, and Our Lady of the Good News, to whose cult was created on the hill in the parish Vampolieri. And 'much-anticipated every year the feast of John the Baptist with folklore (U pisci a mmari, in particular), not to be missed. The boat ride between the Faraglioni and the Lachea Island Marine Protected Area is mandatory, but it is also very pleasant that the alleys behind and to the sides of the Baptist Church, where hidden among the houses, you can see the rod, one of the two ancient towers Trezza.